Ｑ : What is kind accommodation “Silver Star” ?
Ａ : It’s the appellation of accommodation which aim at making a hotel which correspond to aging society.
Japan is facing aging with unprecedented speed in Japanese history.
The number of people who are 65 years old and over was 29.64 million, constituting 23.2% of the total population
as of March 1st, 2011, and it will make up about 34.56 million(27.8%) in 2020.
On the other hand, the number of elderly people account for 20% to 30% of domestic travelers and the needs
of accommodation which is kind for elderly people is increasingly growing.
Accommodations where elderly people can stay at their ease, such as order for meal
(greasy, tough, too spicy, too many, etc. ) which needs a consideration for health reason, Barrier Free,
Hospitality when it’s important, are needed more.
Meanwhile, All Japan Ryokan Hotel Association has been propel a system, with the cooperation of Ministry of Health,
Labour and Welfare, for the purpose of preparing and increasing of accommodations where elderly can stay comfortably
The system is the kind accommodation “Silver Star Registration System”.
An unification mark which express sincerity with two “s” of “Silver Star”
is published in the accommodation registered in the “Silver Star Registration System”
and it’s the sign to be an accommodation which provide a comfortable travel forever.
Ｑ : What kind of Ryokan or Hotel are registered ?
Ａ : The standard is to be an accommodation which is kind for elderly guest, aiming at making a usable hotel for all guest,
satisfy certain standards in the facilities, service, food.
＜The main registration criteria of Silver Star＞
- The handrail, etc, are installed in the bathroom and the lavatory as necessary.
- The handrail, the slope, the shower chair, the chair, the bench, etc. are installed in consideration of the use of elderly people.
- It’s desirable that the Western-style lavatory and the handrail are installed in the share lavatory.
- A contact equipment for in case of accident is installed in the share lavatory.
- The stair handrail is installed.
- A menu which consider elderly people can be provided.
- As for assignment of rooms, to provide a room where elderly guest will be easy to use.
- To give consideration such as discount, a small gift, food and drink to elderly people who are 65 years old and over.
- To teach employees consideration, etc. when they attend to elderly guest.
- To have medical facilities which can take house call measures within the proper area.
It is safe that the guest can tell outside their situation when it’s important, and the accommodation has medical facilities
which can around-the-clock medical care within the proper area, as well as barrier-free support of facilities.
It is also pleasing that the accommodation can take correspondence including service and food, and a little act of kindness
such as a small gift, for elderly guest to have a relaxing stay.
When you make a reservation, please tell that the elderly guest will stay and tell any request.